Juror Qualification Questionnaires are mailed out annually by the Charlevoix County Clerk's Office. Failure to complete and return the form within 10 days of receipt could result in a Contempt of Court finding and a fine or imprisonment.
If the jury board determines you qualify as a potential juror, the term of your service is October 1st through September 30th. You could be called for jury duty in the 90th District Court, the 7th Probate Court or the 33rd Circuit Court during this time period.
If you receive a summons to attend a session of court for possible jury duty and are unable to attend, the Circuit Court requires you put your request to be excused in writing to the Judge. Michigan law gives the presiding judge limited authority to grant excuses when, in the words of the relevant statute "...it appears that the interests of the public or the prospective juror will be materially injured by this attendance, or the health of the juror or that of a member of his/her family requires his/her absence from court."
* Failure to appear for jury duty without prior approval will result in an Order to Show Cause.
* In order to get reimbursed, jurors must come prepared to report their round trip mileage.
* No cell phones, pagers or other electronic devices are allowed in the courtroom, even if turned off. Please leave these devices in your vehicle or at home.
* Individuals who have been convicted of a felony must contact the Circuit Court offices at (231) 547-7243 before the date of jury selection regarding eligibility to serve as a juror.
* Please call the jury line at (231) 547-7213 the day before the scheduled trial after 5:00 p.m. A prerecorded message will advise you of the status of the trial and whether or not you need to appear.