WE ARE HIRING!!! 4/15/21
Charlevoix County Commission on Aging is seeking a part time Senior Services Assistant for the East Jordan Senior Center. This position is Monday through Friday, between 8a-1:30p for 25 hours a week, start & end time dependent upon need. No weekends. Holidays off would include New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday following Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
No experience necessary but the right person needs have a positive perspective and love to work with seniors, and for seniors, on an independent basis. They should be outgoing, dependable, flexible and have effective communication skills. Starting pay is $14.19 an hour and no benefits are provided. Mileage will be paid if a Fleet of County vehicle is unavailable. Applications are available for download from the Charlevoix County website “Employment Opportunities” page, either via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via mail to: Human Resources, 301 State St., Charlevoix, MI 49720. Charlevoix County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more detail please see the below job description
Part-Time Senior Services Assistant
The Senior Services Assistant functions as the back-up transportation resource for the Home Delivered Meal program, kitchen assistant and back up Site Coordinator on behalf of the Commission on Aging and reports to the Food Service Manager and Assistant Director of the Commission on Aging. The incumbent is responsible in assisting the Commission on Aging in providing a successful nutrition program including Home Delivered Meals and the Senior Picnic meal for the Commission on Aging and is responsible for the day-to-day kitchen assistance, back-up delivery of Home Delivered Meals and back-up Site Coordination of the senior center.
Key Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Be dependable with work schedule as assigned. Assist with Special Events, and the Annual Senior Picnic.
- Attend staff meetings, Cook's trainings, CPR, and other in-service trainings as appropriate.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with senior citizens, co-workers, and office staff.
- Assist in the preparation and package the Home Delivered Meals for delivery daily.
- Make sure all stock is rotated with older to the front and newer to the back as orders come in.
- Assist with greeting, supervision and safety of senior participants at the meal site.
- Assist in keeping the kitchen and equipment clean and in good working condition.
- Assist with set up and cleaning of the salad bars.
- Assist with
- Wrapping Bread; Put fruit and soup in cups; Wrap Silverware; Baking cookies, etc.
- Picking up food or supplies as necessary.
- Washing dishes as necessary.
- Report any malfunctioning equipment to the Food Services Manager or Assistant Director immediately.
- Assist Cooks and the Food Services Manager with inventory of food supplies on a regular basis. This will be done by Cooks/Chefs on a semi-annual basis and by the Food Service Manager on an alternating semi-annual basis for a total of quarterly inventories. Inventory includes: Pantry Inventory; Refrigerator Inventory; Freezer Inventory and Specialty Inventory.
- Demonstrate proper hand washing techniques, knowledge of universal precautions and clean food handling.
- Food Service Manager, Assistant Director and /or Director will complete the evaluations.
- Assist with any other tasks asked by the Food Service Manager, Assistant Director and /or Director to make sure meals are provided safely.
- If a Home Delivered Meals vehicle or fleet vehicle is unavailable, provide own vehicle to deliver Charlevoix home delivered meals.
- Submit copy of driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance, initially, and then whenever a change in your vehicle or insurance changes.
- Report to the pick-up point, daily/as scheduled, at the time determined by COA, this time frame must be strictly adhered to.
- Pick up meals and transport in containers provided by COA adhering to all ServSafe requirements.
- Deliver meals using the most expeditious route(s).
- All meals that are not deliverable must be returned to the point of origin and these must be reported to the COA Office at (231) 237-0103 so that a follow up call can be made to the client or emergency contact.
- There is to be no smoking within the vehicles.
- Complete required paperwork with route sheets
- Read and understand the COA policy VIII (11) regarding delivery of meals.
Back-up Site Coordinator
- Assist as back up when there is no Site Coordinator on site as meal host and activity facilitator.
- Assist with meal site statistics required for Commission on Aging reimbursement, accurate meal counts, temperature logs, make change, process deposits.
- Assist with cleaning and safety/cleanliness checks of senior center to ensure proper functioning of the senior center.
- Individual with a track record of providing high quality customer service.
- Must be able to lift to 50 pounds.
- Have a valid Driver’s License and current Automobile Insurance.
- Individual with a sound understanding of the Commission’s programs and the needs of our clients and our aging community.
- Team builder who promotes effective teams.
- Great communicator and listener, quick and clear thinker, calm under pressure.
- Intermediate user of computer applications in order to maximize performance processes.
- Strong collaborator to help achieve commission goals.
Knowledge and Skills
Road Safety & Food Safety
Oral & Written communication.
Decision making & problem solving.
Leadership, Planning and organization.
Interpersonal sensitivity & Flexibility.
COVID 19 Update 4/55/21 - This information is subject to change on a moments notice.
We at the COA are trying to help you find answers to your questions too:
April 14, 2021
Health Department of Northwest Michigan COVID-19 Update - Immediate appointments available for vaccine clinics
in Antrim, Charlevoix, Emmet, Otsego counties
The waiting list to get a COVID-19 vaccination is almost exhausted and appointments are available immediately for clinics in Antrim, Charlevoix, Emmet and Otsego counties.
With almost 75% of residents 65 and over and more than 50% of all residents 16 and over in the four county jurisdiction who have received their first or initial dose, the Health Department of Northwest Michigan has moved to self-scheduling for vaccination clinics. A flyer outlining clinics scheduled for next week, April 19-24, is being shared so anyone can make their own appointment for their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
In addition, appointments are still available this week for Friday, April 16, from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Charlevoix County Shirley Roloff Northside Center (old Elem. School) 13513 Division St., Charlevoix. The vaccine being administered is Pfizer (open to 16 or older, parent/guardian must accompany minor).
The health department will continue to post scheduling links here, which shows the clinic schedule for the full month. The pre-registration link is also available on the website for individuals who do not see a clinic listed they can attend, or wish to be contacted for a future clinic. Health officials continue to reach out to those already pre-registered to offer available appointments. Anyone who needs assistance scheduling an appointment should call 2-1-1 or their local Commission on Aging or Senior Center.
An update on the status of COVID-19 in the region will be offered when Health Officer Lisa Peacock is the keynote speaker at the North Central Michigan College Luncheon and Lecture series Friday, April 16, from noon-1 p.m. Registration for the event is free and available on the North Central Michigan College website.
Today, April 14, 79 new cases were reported: Antrim (15), Charlevoix (17), Emmet (25), and Otsego (22)
counties. We are also reporting 1 new COVID-19 associated death in Otsego County. As of 4 p.m. today,
the health department is reporting:
• Total COVID-19 cases in the following counties: Antrim (1,409), Charlevoix (1,401), Emmet
(2,005), and Otsego (1,981).
• Recovered COVID-19 cases in the following counties: Antrim (1,025), Charlevoix (1,072), Emmet
(1,496), and Otsego (1,266).
• Confirmed COVID-19 associated deaths in the following counties: Antrim (22), Charlevoix (15),
Emmet (39), and Otsego (32).
The State of Michigan is reporting 764,519 cases and 16,619 deaths.
Since December, when COVID-19 vaccination efforts began, there have been 78,239 total doses of vaccine administered to residents in Antrim, Charlevoix, Emmet and Otsego counties via hospitals, pharmacies, local health departments and eligible providers.
Stay up to date on the latest information in the Health Department of Northwest Michigan jurisdiction by liking and following our Facebook page and visiting our COVID-19 Data Dashboard. To locate a testing facility, visit the Michigan COVID-19 Test Finder website. To track the risk levels of COVID-19 pandemic indicators, visit the MI Safe Start Map website. For more information regarding the COVID-19 vaccine, visit the MDHHS vaccine website or the CDC vaccine website.
The Charlevoix County Commission on Aging continues to assess and re-assess as the State opens regions with less reports of the virus. Our desire is two-fold; keep our seniors safe and healthy and provide information and opportunities when safe and appropriate. Based on the recommendations from MDHHS, we will not reopen for congregate meal service until 60 days after we enter the proposed safe Risk Phase. In the meantime, we are planning a strategic and careful course forward as we re-engage in providing services inside and outside of our building.
There are many areas of consideration as we look to re-engage. We are required to have COVID-19 reopening plans that safely outline our strategy to protect seniors and staff. We must be certain that staff have the appropriate protections in order to not become infected or further spread the disease to seniors. We must be certain that we have ample and appropriate cleaning products to protect seniors from risk of infection. We must make accommodations for staff who are over 60 or those with underlying health conditions, as it is currently medically inadvisable for them to return to direct service work. We have continued to distribute Home Delivered Meals daily, Curbside Meals daily and Weekly Disaster meals along with other nutritional support so we need to be careful that our reopening plan does not compromise staff who provide this necessary service.
More COVID 19 Vaccine Information 3/15/21 - This information is subject to change on a moments notice.
Should I register with other providers in addition to the Health Department of Northwest Michigan? Yes, we encourage you to register with other area providers. In addition to the Health Department of Northwest Michigan, Munson Healthcare and McLaren Northern Michigan are vaccinating residents in our jurisdiction against COVID-19 through their provider network. People who are currently eligible for the vaccine but waiting for an appointment are also encouraged to register with Rite Aid and Meijer, which are likely to begin offering the vaccine more broadly in the area soon.
COA List of COVID 19 Vaccine Resources
The Health Department now has a vaccine dashboard: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nwhealth.org_covid19dash2.html&d=DwIFAw&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=YXhAg81HP0R_nVnAS5q_1U7dFohUhwIoAY5Qdwbx_1s&m=lXcHnquZ6Sak3_QUNw-2KNzYfFs0SSktF4B7C-Wt5lk&s=DLd6XScQd7aFiFmKdn-aCztoXdfQpqtbMioNEMqTpF8&e=
Health Department Vaccine sign-up https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__forms.office.com_Pages_ResponsePage.aspx-3Fid-3D4xP8m8Tf30ioPl-2Dm-2DGgVOJGNgaFN23hCrtZMZ4IEWUVUMFlYQlcwRU1aRDlGTzRXNEQzNEk3NzhKSi4u&d=DwIFAw&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=YXhAg81HP0R_nVnAS5q_1U7dFohUhwIoAY5Qdwbx_1s&m=lXcHnquZ6Sak3_QUNw-2KNzYfFs0SSktF4B7C-Wt5lk&s=ScE3BbEXCA2PXZ2zsbKnVj_rb70M18mNiUQsB_V4n40&e=
Or those without technology can call 231-715-5557 (Area Agency on Aging)
Testing is still available and open.
Special Additional Training for Covid-19
ServeSafe Training Certificate for Foodservice Delivery during Covid-19
ServeSafe Training Certificate for Foodservice Take Out during Covid-19
Fall Prevention Exercises
Total Knee Exercises
Total Hip Exercises
The mission of the Charlevoix County Commission on Aging is to provide the highest quality senior services in partnership with the community. We focus our efforts on advocacy and support for seniors and their caregivers by promoting health, wellness, and education to achieve a dignified and enriched quality of life.
218 W. Garfield Avenue
Charlevoix , MI 49720
(share building with Health Dept)
Amy Wieland: Executive Director
Sheri Shepard: Assistant Director
Theresa Graham: Office Manager
Sally Nye: Database Coordinator
Tracey Rupinski,RN,BA: Director of Health Care Services
Paul Tate: Food Services Manager
Kevin Clements: Senior Program Facilitator
What We Do:
The Charlevoix County Commission on Aging is your resource for highly qualified, professional services, programs and resource material including:
Home Delivered Meals In- Home Health Services
Senior Center Meals In-Home Respite
Senior Center Activities/Events/Education & Outreach Personal Care Assistance
Medicare/Medicaid Assistance planning Homemaker Program
Health Care Service Clinics:
Blood Pressure Check, Hearing Check, Hearing Aid Cleaning and Repair, Etc.